Dr. Sunil - Is It Bad For You? Approved by Dr. Sunil

Is Phosphorus Bad For You?

Also Known As: P (periodic table)



Short answer

Phosphorus is not only good for you, but it is mandatory for appropriate function. It is important, however, not to consume too much phosphorus, as high levels can lead to unwanted side effects.



Long answer

Phosphorus is a natural mineral found in milk, grains, and foods rich in protein. Approximately 85% of the phosphorus in the human body exists in bones and teeth, contributing the strength of these structures. The remaining 15% exists in tissues and cells throughout the body.

Everybody needs an appropriate level of phosphorus in their body to function at the optimal level. This mineral aids in several body processes and functions; it assists kidneys in filtering waste, it is vital in the formation of DNA to store new information, it balances your body's pH level, it helps the heart and other muscles contract, it assists in the storage and use of energy, and it plays a role in transmitting nerve signals throughout the body.

However, phosphorus can be harmful in high doses. Too much phosphorus in the body can result in muscle pain, itching / red eyes, constipation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and increased risk of cardiovascular disease. To avoid high levels of phosphorus in the blood, nobody should supplement their diets with phosphorus unless recommended by their medical provider (typically to treat low levels of phosphorus in the blood, calcium based kidney stones, or high blood calcium levels); and patients suffering from kidney failure should consult their medical providers about limiting their intake of phosphorus.

Possible short-term side effects

  • high doses can cause:
  • itching / red eyes
  • muscle pains
  • constipation
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea

Possible long-term side effects

  • cardiovascular disease (again, only from overconsumption)

Big is phosphorus bad for you 2


  • improved kidney function
  • improved muscle function
  • improved nerve function
  • strengthen bones / teeth
  • balance ph
  • improved storage / use of energy
  • helps in formation of dna

Suggest improvement or correction to this article
Written by Rachel Adams | 12-28-2015

Written by Rachel Adams
Suggest improvement or correction

Random Page

Check These Out!