Other than the rare case of an allergic reaction, saline solution is perfectly safe.
Saline solution is used to treat dry and/or irritated nasal passages. This can be caused by a variety of reasons such as the common cold, overuse of a decongestant, or low humidity. Saline solution is a salt solution and works my moisturizing the affected areas. While safe for use for most people, saline solution does rarely cause an allergic reaction in some people. An allergic reaction can include rashes, hives, and difficulty breathing.
It is also important to note that although saline can help prevent nosebleeds, using it during a nosebleed will more than likely be ineffective. Furthermore, a severely dry nose may cause a stinging sensation when the saline solution is used. Other than that, saline solutions are perfectly safe to use. While there is sodium contained in a saline solution, overdoses are unheard of, so there is no need to worry about hypertension, heart attack, stroke, or any other problem commonly associated with high sodium levels in the blood stream.
Possible short-term side effects
- allergic reaction
- may cause stinging sensation
- moisturizes nostril passages
- relieves nasal dryness and irritation
Suggest improvement or correction to this article
Written by Jeff Volling | 01-11-2016
Written by Jeff Volling
Suggest improvement or correction