As long as you aren't swallowing large amounts, swallowing your gum is not bad for you.
Accidentally swallow your gum? No problem. Although chewing gum is intended to be chewed and not swallowed, it's not the end of the world. It simply passes through your body like any other food would normally do. As the gum travels through your digestive system, some of the ingredients such as sweeteners and flavorings are broken down while the rest continues on as a whole. Doctors say it usually takes about 2 days for the gum to fully pass through your body. Swallowing your gum is usually harmless, however, large amounts combined with constipation could potentially cause a blockage in the intestines. Note that this is very rare, and is more likely with children.
Possible short-term side effects
- intestine blockage if a large amount is swallowed (children more prone)
- throw away gum in the trash
Suggest improvement or correction to this article
Written by Maddiebair | 12-27-2015
Written by Maddiebair
Suggest improvement or correction