MiO is Bad for you. It is loaded with artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, and toxic chemicals. This product should be avoided completely.
MiO is a relatively recent development in the beverage world. It is a “liquid water enhancer”, meaning that one small squirt (1/2 teaspoon) of the concentrated liquid can flavor an entire bottle of water. It is packaged in a small, 1.52-ounce plastic squeeze bottle and comes in quite a few flavors. MiO is actually owned by Kraft Foods.
There are four lines of MiO: Original, Energy, Fit, and Vitamins. Each line has a unique quality. MiO Original has a long list of flavors and does not report to have any extra benefits, other than added taste. MiO Energy offers a boost of caffeine to give consumers a pick-me-up; this line even has coffee-flavored options. MiO Fit is designed to replace your sports drink with its extra electrolytes and B vitamins. Finally, MiO Vitamins strives to give consumers an extra lift of nutrients through the addition of three different B vitamins (B3, B6, and B12). MiO Vitamins also offers a “naturally sweetened” option, using stevia extract.
MiO is an extremely concentrated liquid containing some chemical ingredients. You can find various artificial colors, associated with hyperactivity, distractibility, carcinogens, numerous allergies, and much more—depending on the specific colors added.
The three artificial sweeteners within the beverage enhancers pose grave concerns. MiO uses Sucralose (Splenda), as its primary sweetener. It is produced by chlorinating white sugar, but this process gives sucralose added problems like heavy metals. The FDA approves it as 98% safe, with the remaining 2% containing all those heavy metals. The majority of sucralose is not absorbed by the body, which is why it is considered a non-caloric sweetener, but whatever is absorbed by the body concentrates in the kidneys, liver, and GI (gastrointestinal) tract. Long-term use of this sweetener could, therefore, cause problems like immune dysfunction, birth defects, and cancer. As with many artificial sweeteners, it has not been studied long enough to conclusively determine all of the long-term effects.
Acesulfame potassium (Ace-K) has a lot of controversy swirling around it. The research remains inconclusive on the effects on humans. One big concern with this particular sweetener is that because it possesses a bitter “chemical-like” taste, it is rarely alone. This sweetener is usually paired up with another sweetener that often has a worse reputation. (Guilty by association?) There has been some inconclusive evidence involving mice, pointing to neurological damage being a possible side effect.
The third artificial sweetener, Stevia, is labeled on products as “naturally sweetened”. Stevia is a sweet powder formed on the leaves of an herb. However, the sweetener was actually placed inside the product, making it not “naturally sweetened”. Sugar is also derived from the leaves of many plants, however, you cannot dump a bunch of it in a drink and use a label that says “naturally sweetened”. The labeling of the product is deceptive. There is very little research surrounding Stevia and some rather questionable situations surrounding its approval by the Food and Drug Administration.
In addition, studies have linked the preservative, potassium sorbate, with compromising immunity in humans. Moreover, numerous test tube studies have shown a great toxicity towards human DNA, causing mutations to blood cells. Propylene glycol, a form of mineral oil, can cause a mild allergic reaction in the skin in those with eczema.
MiO has already demonstrated deception on their product labeling, by labeling it as naturally sweetened, when a sweetened additive is actually added to the beverage. It has three artificial sweeteners and numerous artificial colors. Overall, it sounds like a product that is worth skipping. The best nourishment that you can get is a large glass or purified spring water. Spice it up a little by putting some fruit in it!
Possible short-term side effects
- skin rash
- asthma attack
Possible long-term side effects
- birth defects
- immune dysfunction
- impaired neurological function
- cell mutation
Ingredients to be aware of
Healthier alternative (what is this?)
Suggest improvement or correction to this article
Written by DeeAnne Oldham | 04-18-2016
Written by DeeAnne Oldham
Suggest improvement or correction